In the domain of information security, Capture The Flag (CTF) is a game-like competition where participants are required to attack and defend computer systems in a controlled environment and in a legal way. Various problem solving tasks require from players knowledge in reverse engineering, web application analysis, cryptanalysis, forensics and exploit development among others.
There are mainly two types of CTF competitions:
- In Jeopardy-style competitions participants are given a number of tasks or problems in various categories and points are awarded for problem solving with respect to the task difficulty. The ranking is established according to points obtained by the teams or individual players.
- In an Attack-defense competition participants are provided with vulnerable environments which they need first to analyse and patch. Afterwards teams environments are interconnected and every team would try to exploit each other services and gain points. The team who gets compromised looses points.
Many CTF competitions are organised regularly online and locally. It is a good educational experience and a perfect way to learn and practice your skills in different security areas in real-world scenarios.
Faithful to last editions (Y-NOT-CTF 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018) and to other major information security events, we would like to offer our participants a CTF event on Friday Nov 8, 2019 from 5:45pm till 11:00pm. This is a Jepoardy-style CTF meaning that participants will be required to solve challenges in different categories (binary analysis, exploitation, forensics, web).
There will be challenges in different categories (Web exploitation, software exploitation, reverse engineering, cryptography, etc.) with different levels accessible to begining, intermediate and advanced CTF-players.
- Drinks and food will be available at affordable price.
- You can participate individually or by team.
- The final registration of yourself/your team is done at the beginning of the CTF. We do not need to know the composition of the teams before the CTF.
- The 3 top teams/players will be awarded some cool prizes.
- The participation to the Black Alps CTF is open to everyone, conference participants and externals alike.
- The participation is free.
- You can only participate from our local network.
- Standard CTF rules apply. Details will be available during the contest.
- Number of participants is limited.
- Each participant should register himself.
- Registration is free and mandatory.
- See the page Register.
Location and venue
Cave de Bonvillars
chemin de la Cave 1
CH - 1427 Bonvillars
Each participant may drive from Y-PARC to the Cave de Bonvillars with their own car.
A bus will be organized:
- 17:30 departure from Y-PARC (in front of the conference building) to the Cave de Bonvillars.
- 23:15 departure from the Cave de Bonvillars to (1) Yverdon-les-Bains train station, (2) Grand Hotel des Bains, and (3) Y-PARC.
- for those who will ends later, they may take a taxi.